YES! turns Sixteen this year! Come celebrate with us!
We’re recapping summer and talking about what’s up in the fall!
It’s coming. Friday, August 19th at Greenbridge Plaza
We’re talkin’ new jobs, selfies, teeth, Bike Everywhere Month and catching up with White Center resident leader Tony Vo. I appreciated hearing Tony talk about White Center Promise and what it is. I think you will find it very interesting, too!
Listen to our podcast with hosts Frank Johnson and Pat Thompson
On Saturday, April 16th our bike club students participated in the #RideforMajorTaylorRide! This ride is a Cascade Bicycle Club fundraiser for their Major Taylor Project! It was great weather to ride in, there were phenomenal people to ride with, and a more worthy reason to ride for!
Photo cred: Heidi Schillinger
Thought you’d enjoy.
2015 was an extraordinary year for YES! Thank you for being part of it and for your ongoing and very generous support! Here are a few highlights:
- In January, a group of students from Our Future Matters, a YES! program, were once again invited to lobby to state legislators at Youth Action Day in Olympia, the state capitol.
- In July, 200 kids from the neighborhood participated in the 11th Annual Jack Thompson Run to Win Sports Camps.
- 20 high school students joined us for Urban Roots, a leadership intensive, for 8 weeks during the summer.
- Nine of our bike club students cycled from Seattle to Portland in July for Cascade Bicycle Club’s STP Ride. August’s bike trip was a gorgeous tour of the Okanogan region of the state. 20 of us, altogether, for 5 days enjoying each other’s company, the sights of NE Washington that included mountains and lakes and so much sunshine! The bike tour included a stop at Grand Coulee Dam, where we had dinner while we watched a laser show about the dam’s history! What a treat! We live in such a beautiful state, it was a joy it was to experience it in this way.
Our partnerships with Run to Win Outreach Camps, Cascade Bicycle Club, A.I.G.A. Link, Act Six, Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission, World Vision, White Center CDA, Trackademics, Cultivate, Mt View Presbyterian Church, Lake Burien Presbyterian Church, John Perkins Center at S.P.U., Baden Sports, Youth for Christ and Highline Schools remain intact and robust. We’re grateful for the years of programming and relationships that have been born out of these partnerships, it’s been an honor to do our work alongside these fantastic organizations.
ABOVE PHOTO: On the road to Curlew Lake State Park in Ferry County #OkanoganBikeTour2015
2014 was another terrific year for YES! Thank you for being part of it and for your ongoing and very generous support!
In addition to accomplishing the things we have come to expect in our year like:
- In January, a group of students from Our Future Matters, a YES! program, were once again invited to present to state legislators at Student Action Day in Olympia, the state capital.
- In the spring, 12 students rode in our Major Taylor Bike Club weekly rides and in July, eight of those students cycled from Seattle to Portland in Cascade Bicycle Club’s STP Ride. Our riding season started back up in the fall with 15 students involved in those weekly rides.
- On the last day of school, every student from pre-school – grade 6 at Mt View, White Center Heights and Roxhill elementary schools participated in our 11th Annual Christmas in June event. 1500 Baden Sports balls, 10 bicycles, 3 schools and 2 assemblies! Always the best way to kick off summer!
- In October, Our Future Matters sponsored and hosted an education summit at Green River Community College that was attended by more than 350 students, parents, educators and community members.
2014 also was the year that:
- Marked our 10th Annual Jack Thompson Run to Win Sports Camps. 200 campers, 5 sports, 3 days.
- In July, We took 5 students, 5 adult volunteers and 2 staff on a San Juan Island Bike Tour! 5 days, 4 Washington State Ferry rides, 3 islands, great food, beautiful sights to see and so much sunshine! All of that goodness plus an incredible opportunity to invest more deeply in the lives of 5 amazing White Center youth! Was it heaven? I’m not sure but it may be as close to heaven as this island girl can get!
- Once again, YES! was part of bringing Cultivate’s Open Mic Night to White Center! On a beautiful August evening, young artists found their way to the stage while the community came out to be together and enjoy local talent on, what I believe, has become White Center’s Best Night of the Summer!
Our partnerships with Run to Win Outreach Camps, Cascade Bicycle Club, A.I.G.A. Link, Act Six, World Vision, White Center CDA, Peak 7, Trackademics, Cultivate, Mt View Presbyterian Church, Baden Sports and Highline Schools remain intact and robust. These partnerships are vital in our ability to provide excellent programming to the children and youth of White Center. It is humbling to ponder how many kids have come through our Jack Thompson Sports Camps over the years as campers, as coaches and as volunteers. YES! is able to offer these camps in large part through our partnership with Run to Win Outreach Camps, an outstanding and seasoned organization led by Mike Rohrbach! Words can’t describe our gratitude to Mike and RTW for their commitment to us and to the community we serve.
We’d love to see you at these upcoming YES! events:
- The 3rd Annual White Center 5K Walk and Run – Saturday, March 28th, 2015
- YES! Dessert Auction – Saturday, April 25th, 2015
Look here and check our Facebook page for more and updated information about those events!