2014 was another terrific year for YES! Thank you for being part of it and for your ongoing and very generous support!
In addition to accomplishing the things we have come to expect in our year like:
- In January, a group of students from Our Future Matters, a YES! program, were once again invited to present to state legislators at Student Action Day in Olympia, the state capital.
- In the spring, 12 students rode in our Major Taylor Bike Club weekly rides and in July, eight of those students cycled from Seattle to Portland in Cascade Bicycle Club’s STP Ride. Our riding season started back up in the fall with 15 students involved in those weekly rides.
- On the last day of school, every student from pre-school – grade 6 at Mt View, White Center Heights and Roxhill elementary schools participated in our 11th Annual Christmas in June event. 1500 Baden Sports balls, 10 bicycles, 3 schools and 2 assemblies! Always the best way to kick off summer!
- In October, Our Future Matters sponsored and hosted an education summit at Green River Community College that was attended by more than 350 students, parents, educators and community members.
2014 also was the year that:
- Marked our 10th Annual Jack Thompson Run to Win Sports Camps. 200 campers, 5 sports, 3 days.
- In July, We took 5 students, 5 adult volunteers and 2 staff on a San Juan Island Bike Tour! 5 days, 4 Washington State Ferry rides, 3 islands, great food, beautiful sights to see and so much sunshine! All of that goodness plus an incredible opportunity to invest more deeply in the lives of 5 amazing White Center youth! Was it heaven? I’m not sure but it may be as close to heaven as this island girl can get!
- Once again, YES! was part of bringing Cultivate’s Open Mic Night to White Center! On a beautiful August evening, young artists found their way to the stage while the community came out to be together and enjoy local talent on, what I believe, has become White Center’s Best Night of the Summer!
Our partnerships with Run to Win Outreach Camps, Cascade Bicycle Club, A.I.G.A. Link, Act Six, World Vision, White Center CDA, Peak 7, Trackademics, Cultivate, Mt View Presbyterian Church, Baden Sports and Highline Schools remain intact and robust. These partnerships are vital in our ability to provide excellent programming to the children and youth of White Center. It is humbling to ponder how many kids have come through our Jack Thompson Sports Camps over the years as campers, as coaches and as volunteers. YES! is able to offer these camps in large part through our partnership with Run to Win Outreach Camps, an outstanding and seasoned organization led by Mike Rohrbach! Words can’t describe our gratitude to Mike and RTW for their commitment to us and to the community we serve.
We’d love to see you at these upcoming YES! events:
- The 3rd Annual White Center 5K Walk and Run – Saturday, March 28th, 2015
- YES! Dessert Auction – Saturday, April 25th, 2015
Look here and check our Facebook page for more and updated information about those events!